TÉLEIOS: A 9-Month Apprenticeship In Living (and Leading) Like Jesus
Téleios is an ancient Greek word that means complete or mature.
In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul uses the word téleios when he describes what it means to grow into the “full measure” of Jesus (Ephesians 4.13).
So, in a very real and measurable sense, TÉLEIOS—becoming like Jesus — is what Christian life (and leadership) is all about…
Come join us on a dynamic 9-month journey into the ancient-but-relevant, urgent-but-steady, catalytic-but-deeply-formative process of TÉLEIOS.
WHAT IS TÉLEIOS?
The Téleios programme is a deep dive into the disciple-making process. Its primary aim is to help those engaged in disciple-making contexts to deepen their own life in God and further equip them to contribute to the discipleship of others.
“I am so excited to commend this initiative and its leadership to especially young leaders who desire to become more like Jesus and help others do the same. Many of the leaders are graduates of our MA in Christian Formation and Discipleship with calling, anointing and gifts to serve all who participate. The program path will strengthen one’s ability to serve in any of our YWAM/UofN ministries, especially DTS.”
Maureen Menard, Vice President, University of the Nations
HOW DOES IT FUNCTION?
Téleios encourages those in disciple-making contexts to stay fully engaged in their ministry throughout the 9-month apprenticeship.
- Participants will take part in three 7 day intensives that focus on: (1) the Life of God, (2) the Life of Community, and (3) the Life of the Individual.
- In between the intensives, there will be 5-7 hours of reading, activities, and assignments each week that build a holistic framework for understanding and living the discipleship process.
- Each participant will be a part of a learning small group that meets in person and online as they journey together throughout the 9-month programme.
WHO IS TÉLEIOS FOR?
Téleios is designed for those who have served in a fulltime YWAM capacity for at least one year—and the programme is especially well suited for YWAM school leaders and staff members who want to deepen and expand their own journey with Jesus.
In the early stages of leadership, people appropriately imitate the good leaders they observe. After some time, though, that appropriate first stage of imitation “wears thin” and a deeper, broader framework or map for discipleship is needed in order to navigate the next steps of growth in God.
Téleios is designed to help participants push through “the glass ceiling of imitation” into the fuller, more life-giving way of growing in wisdom—just like Jesus did (Luke 2:52).
WHO IS LEADING THE PROGRAMME?
Téleios is a new initiative of the Centre for Christian Formation and Discipleship, and the programme will be led by:
- Lori Roddam (M.A. University of the Nations) has been working with YWAM in the context of discipleship and training for more than 13 years. She has helped pioneer YWAM programs resulting in the equipping and releasing of field workers to their long-term calling to the nations. Most recently she is helping to bring leadership to the training team on the Kona campus of the University of the Nations.
- Liam and Rachel Byrnes (M.A. University of Aberdeen and M.A. University of the Nations) haved lived in South Africa since their DTS in 2009. Their work has been focussed on the township community of Masiphumelele, south of Cape Town and have more recently been working within the Centre for Christian Formation and Discipleship within the UofN to deepen and multiply YWAM’s calling to disciple people and nations.
- Trent Sheppard (M.A. Wheaton College) is a long-term YWAMer who currently oversees Alpha’s work with college and university students in New England. He is the author God On Campus (IVP) and Jesus Journey (Zondervan), and has been deeply involved in helping to lead Christian discipleship and spiritual formation communities for more than twenty years.
WHERE WILL TÉLEIOS BE HOSTED?
The 7 day intensives will be hosted at YWAM’s University of the Nations campus in Kona, Hawaii.
Participants will only need to be in Kona for the intensive modules and can remain in their ministry locations for the rest of the 9-month programme.
WHEN DO THE 1 WEEK INTENSIVES BEGIN AND END?
- Intensive One: November 17 – 23, 2019.
- Intensive Two: March 29 – April 4, 2020.
- Intensive Three: August 9 – 15, 2020.
THE VISION OF TÉLEIOS is a generation of Spirit-shaped, Christ-like leaders learning to live dynamic, deep, sustainable lives in God in every area of culture and society.
“The desperate need today,” explains Richard Foster, “is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.”
And that is what Téleios is all about…
Frequently Asked Questions
We are part of YWAM’s University of the Nations. The Centre was founded in 2017 by Maureen Menard and a team of people who have been working together for several years to offer a M.A. in Christian Formation and Discipleship…
Christian Formation is important to YWAM. So much so, our 5 month Discipleship Training School (DTS) is the entry level course for YWAM’s University, and required to join our mission. The DTS is a full time live-learn community of people, who engage together in a number of daily and weekly Christian practices aimed to facilitate both personal growth and contribution toward one another’s Christian formation. These practices include prayer, worship, practicing God’s presence, listening to and obeying God, instruction from the Word, community service, gospel witness and more.
We understand discipleship as a way of life involving the development of the whole person and every aspect of one’s life and work. We take seriously God’s assignment to bear His image, make disciples, form communities of faith and steward creation. We aim to help form God’s people in Christ likeness and support them as they serve God’s purposes in every context of life and work.
Our vision is to offer a variety of initiatives to YWAM and the Body of Christ that: deepen one’s identity in Christ in ways that shape desires, attitudes and deeds; help communities explore the benefits of ancient Christian Practices for their walk and witness and more.
For a fuller version of the above, go here: https://centreforchristianformation.com/about-us/
Pre-Requisites / Applications / Visa’s / Cost
- Participants must have successfully completed a YWAM Discipleship Training School (DTS).
- Has served in a full-time YWAM capacity for at least one year.
Not necessarily, however the course will most benefit those who are currently in some sort of active role within the body of Christ (leadership, discipleship etc).
Preferably each participant would have served in a full-time YWAM capacity for at least one year.
It is preferable.
Yes :) Please refer them to our online application
Applications are due November 1, 2019 with a $150 course deposit
Course Fee: $1150
$333 is due upon arrival at the beginning of each intensive**
** This could be paid in monthly increments by budgeting $115 a month over the course of the programme
In addition to the application forms, successful applicant will be asked to fill out a registration form.
Yes, there will be required reading each module. You can expect 4-6 books or listening material that may be required to be purchased per module. In addition accomadation and air travel to and from the Intensives are not included in the course fees.
- application is due November 1 with a $150 course deposit
- $333 is due upon arrival at the beginning of each intensive
** This could be paid in monthly increments by budgeting $115 a month over the course of the programme
Visas are case by case, please be in touch with program directors for more information. Please contact us as soon as possible if you need assistance.
Curriculum and Qualifications
Our desire for each participant is for 5-7 hours of work per week. The purpose of this is to further strengthen and enhance the ministry you are currently involved in.
- Module 1 | Role of God in Discipleship
- Module 2 | Role of Community
- Module 3 | Role of the Individual
**After acceptance each participant will receive an acceptance letter with a detailed course overview.
Yes, with acceptance to this programme there will be a commitment from each participant to attend each intensive, in Kona, HI.
No, the direct application for this course will look differently as applied within each person’s ministry context.
You will need a laptop computer or an iPad that can access the internet and has software which enables you to write an assignment. It should be in a condition that allows you to accomplish coursework, reading and communication throughout the entire 9 month programme.
We are still clarifying the exact amount of University of the Nations credits that will be awarded for this programme although we expect it to be at least 5-6. Please be in contact with us if the exact credit value of this course is of particular concern to you before applying and we will do our best to clarify the process and if possible adjust the coursework to match the credits you might need.
Practicalities and Logistics for the Intensives in Kona
If you are coming from out of town please book your flight for the Big Island of Hawaii Airport: Kona International (KOA)
– Look out for the YWAM/UofN Kona greeters at Kona International Airport. We will be there to pick you up!
– Be sure to email your flight info (airline, flight number, date and time) to: email@example.com +1-808-640-2343
Module 1 – Saturday, November 16th, 2019
Module 2 – Saturday, March 28th, 2020
Module 3 – Saturday, August 8th, 2020
For those coming from out of town dorm style housing will be provided at an additional cost to you.
Yes, you are. If you decide to find your own housing please give us advanced notice prior to the intensive.
** please note for those coming from out of town housing will only be available from arrival day to departure day
- Yes, families are more than welcome to attend. Please keep in mind these intensives are full day sessions which may also include evening sessions and events.
- Housing for families will be within our family dorms on campus.
**Unfortunately we are unable to provide childcare, so depending on your child (children’s) needs do consider appropriately bringing a nanny with you.
No, we welcome couples to prayerfully consider whether one or both should participate in this programme. Please keep in mind the commitment to each intensive in Kona, HI.
- Transportation will be provided for for program functions but not for personal use
- If you are looking for personal transportation for your own convenience, our recommendation is to rent either a moped or a car. A popular mode of transportation on our Island is a moped rental (please wear a helmet if you choose to do this). If you would rather rent a car, we suggest Turo.
**A common moped rental YWAMers here use is Kona Mopeds
Laptop or Ipad, clothes for warm weather (25-35 °c), shorts, tee shirts, sandals/shoes, towel, water bottle, swimsuit